Clarifying Shampoo or a Moisturizing shampoo on Wash Day?
A big part of your wash day is the shampoo that you choose as this will affect how well your scalp is cleansed. But, with the diverse range of hair care products now available for natural hair, shampoo is no longer a ‘one size fits all’ scenario. Clarifying shampoos and moisturizing shampoos are just two of the options that may work for you in different ways.
Here’s all you need to know!
Formulated to thoroughly cleanse the scalp and remove product buildup, clarifying shampoos will provide a deep clean to your hair and scalp. These types of shampoos are ideal for naturalistas who wash their no more than once a week or have problems with oily hair. If you suffer from a dry scalp or your hair is fragile, a clarifying shampoo may be too stripping for your hair so be mindful.
The benefits of clarifying shampoo:
- Better cleaning power
- Ideal for creating a squeaky clean feel and thoroughly removing oil, dirt and product build-up
- Can restore your hair’s PH balance
- Can be used as a fortnightly or monthly cleanse
- Helps prepare the scalp for your washday as a clarified scalp will hold styling products better
One of the keys to caring for curly hair is keeping it well moisturized. Shampoos aren’t just for cleansing, they can hydrate and nourish your scalps and the lengths of your hair too. Moisturizing shampoos are great for dry, frizzy hair and can significantly help with nourishment. These kinds of shampoos are likely to have a thicker consistency than clarifying shampoos and may give your hair a silky feeling rather than feeling squeaky.
The benefits of moisturizing shampoo:
- Can help revive dull and brittle hair
- Cleanses the scalp without losing moisture
- Hydrates your curls with natural oils
- Can be very beneficial in colder months when your hair requires extra moisture